Thursday, September 01, 2005

Some Finished Objects...

Well, it seems kind of frivolous to be posting about knitting given what is happening on the Gulf Coast. But I have to take my mind off the horrendous pictures the news was broadcasting of little babies who by now may be no more. Please, if you can...donate money to the Red Cross to help those poor people who it seems most people have forsaken, especially the children who need milk, baby formula, diapers, juice, and the basic necessities. Even if you can only spare a few dollars, it will help out. Thank you.

I finally finished the Debbie Bliss baby sweater.




Of course, you can't see it well, because it is white. It is a simple stockinette sweater with seed stitch bands. It is knit in Bernat Softee Baby so that it will wear well and be washable. I decided to forego the buttons and buttonholes and instead knit the front bands solid. I just threaded a ribbon tie through the seed stitch neck band to close the sweater. There are a blue and a pink ribbon, so that my friend can just pull out the wrong color when the time comes. It knit up very quickly, even on US 2 and 3s. I wasn't sure how it was going to come together in the finishing process because it had very little shaping, but it was very simple. All in all, a perfect first sweater for me. I will probably make another in the future. It used very little yarn...of course this is the newborn size, but still...maybe half a skein?

I also knit up this while watching all the devastation on the TV:


This is an elongated stitch scarf knit out of Katia Damasco yarn in colorway #905. You can't really see it well from the photo, but it is a gorgeous blend of a deep garnet red, dark plum, and charcoal gray. I added the garnet red fringe, but am not sure if it will stay or not. I plan to add alternating bands of the dark plum color and the charcoal gray fringe as well to tone the brightness of the red down to match the scarf more closely, but I have to go to my LYS to get some of the plum color. If it doesn't work out, I will just take the fringe off. This scarf is yet another in my effort to stash bust some of my yarns to make room for new stash.

I am still working on the Besotted Scarf out of the Araucania Nature Wool, but to be honest, the pattern is totally kicking my ass. I need to put a row counter on my needles, because I keep losing track. I'm just not feeling it. I've needed some more mindless knitting lately as I try to decompress from being sick and shift into back to work gear before school starts again next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home