Monday, July 16, 2007

Hey There Delilah

We have a new addition to our household. Meet Delilah...

This picture is for scale...Cooper is a full-grown, 100 pound Chocolate Lab

We have always said that when we got a bigger house, we'd get Cooper a buddy to keep him honest. We've been talking about it for a few weeks, and agreed that this is the best time to get a new puppy as I am home for the next 6 weeks for summer break, and would be able to do all of the crate-training, potty-training, bonding, etc...that needs to be done. So, we started looking.

Initially, we wanted an English Bulldog puppy, but they proved to be scarce in these parts, and also a bit on the pricey side for us at the moment (teachers, contrary to public belief...do NOT get paid in the summer). So, we asked ourselves what we loved most about the bulldog and the answer was clearly the wrinkles. So, then we looked at other wrinkley dogs (shar pei, pugs, etc...) and found something new.

Delilah is a Puggle.

She is a cross between a Beagle and a Pug. Her mom was an AKC Beagle and her dad was an AKC Pug. The AKC doesn't recognize Puggles or any of the other new "hybrid" "designer" breeds, which is fine with me, snobs that they are. Cooper is AKC, and it hasn't done a thing for him, I swear, he is still neurotic and clueless and the papers haven't improved upon him not a whit. [I find those labels from the AKC hilarious btw...we used to just call a spade a spade and call them "MUTTS"! Apparently that is not politically correct anymore, I wonder how long until they pitch a fit over the terminology of calling a female breeding dog a bitch? I'm surprised that one goes unchallenged these days.] Delilah will be spayed as soon as it is appropriate, as all of our animals have been, so lah-di-dah to the AKC anyways.

Delilah is 9 weeks old and cute as a button, as you can see. What you cannot see is how funny she is--because all eight pounds of her is bold as bold can be. She is not even a little intimidated by Cooper. And when she barks, she does that deep, braying sound that beagles make. So funny.

Well, not at 2am, but still...cute.

I did forget in the past 5 years how much work puppies are! Last night she cried so much that we had to put her crate in the finished basement, in the media room, with the TV on for company. Then, we had to close all the doors and put a fan on to drown her out. I set the alarm for every two hours and went to take her outside to do her business and give her rubs. I am weary today. She has made no fewer than 8 puppy puddles today in the house, and so we are out the door every minute or so it seems to reinforce that pee goes out in the grass. There is no rhyme or reason to her peeing, she could have just peed a lake in the yard, and she will still have more for the bedroom carpet. And so...

Today, Bug and I went to the store and got her a crate of her own, she was borrowing Coop's but it was much too big...see photo above. As I type, she is now sleeping in her new crate, if not happily, at least resignedly and that is a start. She was NOT being crated at the house where she was born, so it is a bit more challenging to get her used to the crate.

Crate training is best for dogs, I don't care what other people believe...dogs are den animals, and when they have one, they behave better. If you are unfamiliar with what it involves and what it doesn't involve, you should look into it, just to educate yourself. Crate training is NOT a punishment for dogs. Most dogs, Cooper included, come to look at their crate as a safe retreat and love it. It works for us and our dogs. Case closed.

I am off to catch a cat nap (or a puppy nap) before the next trip outside for "business". But before I do, in a moment of sleep-deprivation randomness, I give you:


You are Brigitte Bardot

Naturally sensual and beautiful
You're an exotic beauty who turns heads everywhere
You've got a look that's one of a kind
I freakin' wish!
Mostly for my husband, who reads the blog religiously,
because until I get some sleep, someone else doesn't really stand a good chance
of getting any (and I don't mean sleep!) either. But, at least he can look at her, and dream.
Who has your back, honey? I know. I rule.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger pacalaga said...

She's a cutie, alright. WRT crate training, I follow the same philosophy as I do with my kid: whatever works. Peaches HATED the crate. You could hear her crying a block away, all. day. long. Kaya LOVED the crate and would just crawl in and lay there if we left the gate open. If it works, it works.
How soon are you going to start yarn-aversion training? :-)

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home