Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Inherited Stash

I give you...

The completely dry and finished felted bag. I added the sage green ribbon threaded through small slits cut with scissors in the cream stripe and tied in a bow on the side for some added girly-ness. I am a total girly-girl, I admit it. The bag turned out lovely, and I cannot wait to use it.

Next up, this baby sweater designed by Cari . I am knitting it for friends who just had a little girl. It will be knit up in Patons Canadiana (acrylic, yes...but washable) in a medium pink color from my new stash that I received from my mother-in-law.

My super understanding mother-in-law recently sent me an enormous box full of yarn from her mother's house. Grandma is now in assisted living and can't knit due to arthritis and dementia, so I inherited her stash. Most of it is acrylics, but the nicer ones, and there is some wool, and some really nice wool/mohair blend. And it isn't all elderly colors either!

It is fun to have new stuff in my stash, but sad too. I wonder what Grandma had planned for the white, sparkly acrylic that she has 8 hanks of--a baby blanket or layette set? Or the teal mohair/wool, lace-weight--a shawl? I don't have a daughter, will my stash someday fall into the hands of a granddaughter or a niece or a daughter-in-law who will wonder what I planned to do with those 12 hanks of cream merino/cashmere that I haven't used yet because I am saving it for something special?

Maybe the special occasion is today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Procrastiknitter said...

BEAUTIFUL BAG! Just gorgeous! I love the ribbon too and I'm not really a girlie girl.

ABout the stash inheritance, I know the feeling. I recently inherited a large stash of yarn from a friend of mine's grandmother. I sat on the floor sorting it thinking abotu the same things. ((HUGS))

**Love the sweater pattern, can't wait to see it done.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home