Sunday, April 09, 2006

Options...

My mother has always taught all of us to keep our options open, so in honor of her wisdom...I went to the craft store today in search of [gasp!] acrylic yarn for Colleen's baby blanket. I found some in a color that I thought was close to what I want. However, when I got it home, I am not so sure. Good thing it was cheap [gasp!]acrylic (and even cheaper given that all the yarns were 25% off today!). I think I paid $2.14/364 yard skein. I could easily justify not using it at that price!

This is a funny story, I was standing there at ACMoore with three skeins of this cheap Red Heart [gasp!] acrylic yarn in my hands and a lovely lady of a certain age (older than my mother, but not quite AARP material) who was standing next to me also perusing the cheap [gasp!]acrylic, said to me, "That is a lovely color of green." I said, "Do you think so? I can't decide." She nodded and reached over and touched it lovingly and said, "Red Heart is the best yarn you can buy. I've been knitting with it for almost 40 years." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Red Heart is the best yarn you can buy? Apparently, there is an entire generation of women who have never knit with natural fibers or good quality yarns...I wanted to scoop her up and take her here and show her what really good yarn looks and feels like.

So, I brought the [gasp!] acrylic home and took a photo of it next to the shockingly too Christmasy green Encore [gasp!] acrylic blend:

Definitely more grass-like, as evidenced by the closeness to the green of the front bush...but still, somehow not exactly what I want. I'm off to order the Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Grass. We'll see how that goes.

I see two green Holiday sweaters in the future with whatever yarns I don't use.

I also bought a book while I was there:


It has some really cute things in it and I am all about the stash busting...I've limited my new yarn purchases until I can get rid of some of what I already have. Much of it from the early days (more [the whole gasp! thing is getting old, I know...so I'll lay off for now!]acrylics, lots of Lion Brands, etc...).

Well, I am off to organize the new knitting bag (see yesterday's post for a photo)...how exciting!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new knitting bag is absolutely fab!! I can't wait to see it!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home