Saturday, May 20, 2006

I am all talk

I can't let things go...

I can't allow imperfections when I see them...

At least not glaringly huge, wonky ones. I mean, even my husband noticed this screw-up! And he doesn't normally notice much of anything I try to show him in my knitting.

I had to rip back and re-knit the crazy bit on the Sheep Dreams blanket. It was driving me nuts and sapping my will to knit on it further. So, last weekend, I ripped it back and slowly, a few rows at a time, I have knit past where I was. The lower squares are done.

Surprisingly sheepless, no? Actually, you add them on afterwards in duplicate stitch. The blanket is surprisingly simple. And even better, not boring yet.

I had a knitting epiphany this week as well.

I have been tormented for as long as I can remember by my stockinette stitch. No matter how hard I tried, it always looked a little bit funky. A little bit odd. A little bit, not-quite-right. So I decided to go back to the basics and I re-watched an on-line video [these videos are terrific by the way] on both the knit and the purl stitch to see if I was missing something.

Indeed, I was.

I have been wrapping the yarn around the needle clockwise instead of counter-clockwise on my purl stitches. I am positive that I was not taught this way...Hi Amy!...but somewhere along the way, I started doing it backwards. And hence, the funky, twisty stockinette. What a difference it makes to do it correctly! Faster too! I still forget sometimes and do a whole row the wrong way, and yes, it shows, and yes, there are two of them, and, yes, they will be mostly covered by little sheepies, so no, I am NOT going to rip back to them and re-knit them.

At least I don't think so.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home